Anthony's Challenge of the Week: Prayer!



Last year I attended the Word of Life Bible Institute, as did some of my fellow bloggers on this site. Part of the program of this particular school is a summer ministry with their youth camp. Just about everyone involved with Word of Life gets involved with the camps during the summer. It is a hard time- you work extremely long hours six days a week, and don't get much time for yourself. I was a counselor, and our job was to be with the campers 24/7, six days a week.

We slept in the same cabin, ate with them, swam with them when they wanted to swim and got the opportunity to be a part of each of their lives for that week they were there. I could speak for hours on it, but that isn't the point of this blog (just to note, I love all of my campers!). So, here is the point:

There were a lot of people who needed prayer. Everyone was tired, and everyone was seeking God's wisdom with every decision they were making. We wanted to be true to God for those we were ministering to. I had a list of people I prayed for. Good friends, some of the leadership, and those who had specifically asked for prayer.

But there were also times when God would make me think about someone, and I would pray for that person. It happened once where God put this guy on my heart, let's call him Joe (not his real name). Now, Joe seemed to be fine. He was, in fact, one of the more inspirational guys at the camp who seemed to have everything going just fine. He seemed to be strengthened, in fact. I had this desire, though, to pray for him. I did, for almost a week straight. It was odd for me, because there were so many people who seemed tired and worn who I thought needed specific prayer more than he did.

A few days after I started praying for him I went up to Joe and told him that I had been praying for him, that God had laid it upon my heart to do so. Joe then told me about a situation that had come up in his life that was really draining him, and that the prayers had been needed. I was once again washed in awe, hearing of God's providence.

So, what's the point, you ask? Well, sometimes we tend to only pray for the needs we see, the things people ask us to pray for. We sometimes think it might even insult a person if we pray for them without permission. Sometimes, though, even those thing which seem strongest need prayer. Even those people who seem to just "get it" can use our intervention on their behave. Paul illustrates this in Colossians Chapter 1:9-12:

"9 So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. 10 Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better. 11 We also pray that you will be strengthened with all his glorious power so you will have all the endurance and patience you need. May you be filled with joy, 12always thanking the Father. He has enabled you to share in the inheritance that belongs to his people, who live in the light."


So when you go throughout your Christian walk, know that sometimes God asks us to pray for those things or people that appear strong. Do not forsake praying for someone or something, either, simply because no one has asked you to! The Bible tells us to pray without ceasing (1 Thes 5:17). Though, don't forsake praying for those things you normally pray for. Just remember those things you don't usually think of. :)


In Christ's Love,

Anthony DiGeorgio


Picture © not to me.

0 comments

Post a Comment

 
|  Ekklesia: Authentic Church for Authentic Worship. Blogger Template By Lawnydesignz Powered by Blogger